
It bloomed !! I guess it wouldn’t wait to take its photograph by me. Unlike my sister and brother who refuse to have their photographs taken. There are about 2 or 3 more flowers ready to bloom , can’t wait to see those blooms.
Today I was going through my old art books. As a child I remember that I was so wrapped up in my own world (playing with my dolls) that I always use to leave my art HW last minute. The result was a drawing not done with my full potential as well last minute pathetic touch-up. My art teacher was very kind about it. I remember how when she use to call my name out she use to tell me how I was capable of more things. Once when I did do my art HW before time she went gushing over my drawing. I had drawn these ladies in different ball-gowns and my teacher thought that the gowns and the idea were lovely. Even though I was very young probably 7 or 8 I remember thinking to myself how it was nothing compared to the drawing made by “the girl”.
I think every class has “the girl” and “the boy”. That one person in class who is perfect in everything. Everybody wishes to be “the girl” because if you are her :
Nobody messes with you
1.You are very popular
2.You are brainy
3.You are sporty
4.You have the voice of an angel
5.You are poise
6.You are an artist
In short to “the boy” and “the girl” everything comes naturally. And if you are the “the girl” in this case to add “the girl” was very, arrogant as well bossy. But some how the class never mind’s the “the girl” bossiness and arrogance.
Well even though my art teacher had been more taken up by my drawing then usual I felt it was an unsaid thing that even though I had done a better job at it , it still doesn’t matter because it was nothing compare to "the girl's" drawing. I remember the “the girl” showing her drawing to her trusty followers and saying that she had another A+ in the bag. And what did I have ? A boring B+. I think those days I decided that it didn’t matter. That art, drawing and colouring are only for people like “the girl”. I had to take only one more year of Art class as after 4th grade you didn’t have it in your time table any longer. It was a relief to me
Anyway in 5 and 6th grade the only artwork I use to do was the ocassional “colouring” in those colouring books. I remember showing my parents my colouring and hearing their countless compliments. I guess to your parents whatever you do is perfect. Anyway in 7th grade we had two activities periods. Activities periods was the time when your friends and you agreed on a particular activity, signed up for that activity, attend the class, did nothing what the teacher said but wasted time on talking. This 7th grade I was very unlucky as I hadn’t signed up for the activities early so I didn’t get the class I wanted to go in as it was too crowded. The only class that would accommodate me was the “Art class”. Needless to say I felt very annoyed. I was happy to have my old kind Art teacher back but when I saw the rest of my classmates I discovered I was in an Art zone. Every girl in my art class had a gift of drawing. And I knew from the very beginning I didn’t have this gift. But something that day what the teacher said kind of changed my point of view in a lot of things. My Art teacher said that if we were willing to work hard , she would do everything she can to help us achieve whatever we wanted to do. She talked about an artist struggle to draw and how it wasn’t easy to see your drawing rejected. Also she said that everyone in the class had real potential and she knew we would do a good job. This memory and pep talk is very vague in my mind now but the effect was so strong that her pep talk left a lasting impression. I think as soon as she was finished talking I had made a silent agreement with myself that in this class I would do whatever it takes to live up to my teacher’s expectation. I knew she would keep her part of the deal and would help me in every possible way.
I remember the first project was shading work. It was a plant with huge leafs. It was the first time I was doing something so difficult and to tell you the truth all I wanted to do was runaway. But my teacher faith in me came back to me. That moment I felt such a determination and enthusiasm to do something. That one hour I slaved over my drawing. All the girls were chattering , talking and having the time of there life but I remember that somehow I had created another world where all that mattered to me was completing that drawing perfectly. It was until I had finished I came back to the real world. I look at my drawing and was amazed at the good job I had done. My teacher felt the same way. I continued this way. Whatever assignments and project she gave us , I worked really hard on it. Suddenly all the gifted ones found me competition.
Even my art teacher complimented me on change and told me how she remembered that when I was younger I never use to do such a good job. The change in me use to surprise my teacher so much that whenever she use to see my drawing she use to repeat the same thing. I use to smile at her secretly. When I passed 7th grade my art teacher took all our drawings for an Art show. I knew when I was giving her those drawing that I would never get it back. I felt very reluctant and sad to give them away. As I felt that all my determination dwelled in those drawing. In those “strokes” where I mixed water colours to bring the effect. In those “dark shading” that I worked seconds on so it would be perfect. In those sketches which I worked so carefully, so afraid that one mistake would ruin the white sheet and leave grey pencil marks.
Now when I look back I realized that I gain something more valuable then those drawings. I lived up to my teacher’s faith. Also I found that the secret of life is true. Such things as determination, hard work, enthusiasm and need to prove yourself can get you the stars if you want. All you need to do is believe in yourself and do the best you can. Sooner then you expect you will have a glittering, twinkling star in your hand winking at you.
PS “the girl” also has the perfect hair. But who cares ? ;)
3 comments:
Simply, a beautiful post.
Such a sweet post, what is this gorgeous yellow beauty called?
Thanks everybody. And Ambrosia I have really tried to find the name of the yellow beauty but no luck. I even googled it. Apprantely its not that common. My dad bought this plant very long ago and then I wasn't interested in finding out such things. Really regret it now.
Post a Comment