“Think before you speak ! And take it seriously.” People always tell you to think before you speak but they never add how serious or important it is. Everyday when we communicate something people take our words differently or don’t understand what we are trying to communicate.
This is what have been taught to me in my business class:
Semantics: The study of meaning and choice of words are known as semantics. Semantic blocks are difficulty that each person faces in choosing the right words for communication.
Example: A manager might say to the subordinate: “Your performance was below standards I expected more.”
The manager really meant: “You are going to have work harder. I know you can do it”
The subordinate takes it as: “If you mess another time you are out.”
What’s even more interesting is that when we are communicating something 80% of the body language is taken instead of what we have said or spoken. A good example would be your friend would be telling you that she is fine. But her face and voice is betraying her and you know that she is not fine. That something is really wrong !!!
Your tone of voice is also very useful. One sentence can actually have 3 different meaning. This is not a very good example I hope I get the point across though.(If somebody can come up with a better one or know a better one do drop in a comment. !)
Imagine a kid saying “I want that red car”. Now if the kid stresses on one word the meaning of the sentences changes slightly.
I want that red car. ( Stressing on the “want” makes it obvious that the kid wants the car either by hook or crook)
I want that red car. ( Stressing on the “red” makes it clear that the kid wants the red car and none other)
I want that red car. (Stressing on the “that” makes it clear that the kid want that car and no other car will do)
When your voice is the main focus it’s called “Paralanguage.” It consists of how something is said rather than what is said. Voice quality, tone of voice, laughing and yawning are included. But "Kinesic Behavior" refers to body language. It consists of gestures, facial expressions, postures and eye movements. We often try to draw conclusions from nonverbal behavior rather than word. (All these definitions are straight from my business studies presentation)
I found this entire subject very interesting. Observing body language and tone of voice can really change things. Which also made me realize how when we are communicating through letters, emails and instant messaging, are we succeeding in communicating what exactly we want and how we feel ? I know a lot of times when I have been on-line chatting, my words have been taken in a totally different meaning. Then I had to explain everything more carefully. Not only that once my joke was taken seriously and if I hadn’t cross-checked that it was a joke I would have been in a huge trouble. So I guess its not think before you speak but also keep a check of your facial and body expression , your tone and quality of voice and it’s a whole different scenario when you are communicating through email, letter and instant messaging. Anyway that’s all for now ! If you guys have more stuff to add to it please do. As my business teacher just breezed through the subject and I am wondering if there’s more behind the whole thing. Have a super doper , cool and sun shining day !
19 comments:
Nice blog as for me. It would be great to read a bit more concerning this matter.
By the way check the design I've made myself Companionship in London
Amiable fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.
Well your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats incorrect to you dispatch, wish look ahead in behalf of more cognate articles in a jiffy as its anecdote of my pick topic to read.
hi, i am studying this topic in my university course at the moment and there is alot more to it.
If you have enjoyed these little sections of this topic you should grab 'Communication in Organisations' 5th edition, prepared by Dr. Mieke Witsel. the author is actually my lecturer and she has prepared the book so well its very in depth and very interested i think you'll enjoy it alot. if you cant get your hands on this try finding some of 'Shannon and Weavers' work they have actually developed a model for the process of communication as well as David Berlo's studies. well i hope this helps. also when you were talking about how you were in the instant chat and your joke was taken the wrong way this can be known as a percived attribution error.
It was very interesting for me to read that blog. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.
Avril Simpson
escorts north
Cool story you got here. It would be great to read more concerning this topic. The only thing your blog misses is a few pictures of any devices.
Nickolas Stepman
block cell phone signals
Rather cool blog you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.
Pamela Benedict
black escorts
Thank you everybody. Im so glad this post is helping you all.
Pretty cool place you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.
Julia Hakkinen
escorts new york city
[url=http://www.23planet.com]Online casinos[/url], also known as accepted casinos or Internet casinos, are online versions of rare ("buddy and mortar") casinos. Online casinos approve gamblers to disport oneself and wager on casino games unequivocally the Internet.
Online casinos typically broach up in arrange of trade odds and payback percentages that are comparable to land-based casinos. Some online casinos contend higher payback percentages as a peacefulness looking looking for post automobile games, and some quality apparent payout dissension audits on their websites. Assuming that the online casino is using an adeptly programmed unsystematically innumerable generator, jot games like blackjack clothed an established column edge. The payout apportionment as a replacement on these games are established via the rules of the game.
Multitudinous online casinos commission unfashionable or mesmerize their software from companies like Microgaming, Realtime Gaming, Playtech, Intercontinental Ploy Technology and CryptoLogic Inc.
Post a Comment